Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

My son is 15 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 13.5. He is a very honor student and a very healthy, happy, athletic child who takes great responsibility and care of his diabetes. I could not be more proud! My family is a total team with my son in this.

Do you have any idea when detemir is going to become available by prescription? Every three months, I ask my endocrinologist and my pharmacist and they are not sure. My pharmacist says he believes very soon.

What is your opinion about this insulin? Do you think it is wise to switch from Lantus? My only motivation to switch is so my son can go back to two shots a day. He was doing H and NPH for breakfast and dinner and now, for the last 10 months, has done H and NPH for breakfast and H and Lantus for dinner. It's working great, but I thought of detemir to go back to two shots, plus possibly splitting the total dose of detemir between breakfast and dinner because I do believe there is a peak in Lantus.

Answer:

I receive the same information from my various pharmaceutical representatives. Insulin detemir (Levemir) is being manufactured by Novo Nordisk pharmaceuticals. My understanding that the manufacturer has an "approval" letter by the FDA, but the launch in the U.S. has not yet occurred.

Having no experience in the use of this new basal insulin, I can offer no opinion as to its efficacy. The theoretical advantages about it's ability to be mixed with other insulins could certainly be an advantage.

Posted to Insulin Analogs