From Fairmont, West Virginia, USA:

My husband is taking Avandamet for type 2 diabetes and has trouble with erections, but he has no trouble with ejaculations. This has been going on for about four years. He went to a doctor who did blood test and said his testosterone is very low. Could this be why his is having trouble or is it the diabetes? He keeps his sugar under control and his A1c was 6.7.

Although testosterone therapy is used when erectile dysfunction is present, testosterone has more effect on improving libido than it does improving erections. It is my gut reaction that the diabetes is more likely to be the cause. However, this does not mean the low testosterone should not be followed up. Repeat measures should be taken. If still low, it is important to investigate why it is low. It could be from a primary testicular problem or from involvement of the brain or pituitary. Therapy may still be indicated as this will also have an effect on body composition with muscle and bone mass. Erectile dysfunction can also be pursued with other therapies available to the patient through prescription drugs, as prescribed by your husband's physician.