Question:

From Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada:

I'm just beginning to do some research on the benefits of flaxseed oil for diabetics, specifically type 1. Are there benefits to taking flaxseed oil? Are there any drawbacks? I have heard that it can help even out blood sugar. I have had type 1 since August 2003. My A1c at diagnosis was 16.8 and my most recent was 7.6.

Answer:

I don't know of any studies showing flaxseed oil would help type 1 diabetes patients control their blood glucose levels. Any oil would likely slow down the absorption of food and so this may change the peaks of glucose after concomitant carbohydrate intake. There is nothing special about flaxseed oil, however. It is usually used as a digestive aid and helps with treatment of constipation.