Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

My six year old daughter began experiencing an unusual burning feeling on the outer portion of her ears. A part of her ear turns deep red while the rest of her ear is normal flesh tone. She says that it burns and hurts to touch. After about 10 to 15 minutes, the deep red color and pain goes away. She can tell when her ear is turning red. She was diagnosed with diabetes about 18 months ago and her numbers have been generally good. I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced this or heard of this.

Answer:

I don't believe that this is due to diabetes. Certainly, one can have intermittent allergic reactions that may take the form of a red ear that quickly resolves. Your pediatrician may be your best resource in finding the cause of her ear troubles.

Additional comments from Patricia Larsen:

It sounds like Raynaud's Phenomenon, like that seen in scleroderma. This may be a possibility.

PL

Posted to Aches and Pains