Question:

From Greenville, Illinois, USA:

My girlfriend has type 2 diabetes and has begun having terrible muscle spasms in her arms. This is very unsettling and painful. Can this be a cause of diabetes or from the insulin? She has been crashing quite a bit lately and my husband and I are very concerned. Believe me, if she weren't so obligated to continue working, etc., we would be able to get her to the doctor more often.

Answer:

It is not clear what the symptoms are from. I would suggest she needs to talk with her physician about these symptoms. Is she on medications, like a cholesterol-lowering medication, that cause muscle pain? Did she lose a lot of weight with the diabetes and therefore a lot of muscle mass? Is she exercising frequently and causing these symptoms? Just having diabetes does not cause this.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Insulin