Question:

From Burlington, Vermont, USA:

Could you provide a guide for those of us who are sending our children with diabetes off to college, especially for those far from home? Our daughter is going about 500 miles away to Washington, D. C. She is in good control and has always been responsible. Still, I know we will really worry. I just want to be sure we have prepared her as well as we can.

Answer:

The Children's Diabetes Foundation in Denver has a good collection of tips for college students.

You can also use the Family Support Network to find a family near where your child will be going to college who can help if needed. Search based on ZIP code to find someone nearby.

JSH

Posted to School and Daycare and Other