From Lincoln, Nebraska, USA:

I found out I was a type 1 diabetic 35 years ago. They started me on insulin injection right away. Because of the injections, I now have large lumps on my legs and arms. They have told me that if I do not use them, they will get smaller, but I have not used my legs for injections for about 15 years and they are still there. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them other than having them surgically removed?

Unfortunately, there is a point of no return for some of those injection site problems. I would suggest that the areas will probably not improve. On occasion, I have had patients see a plastic surgeon for bothersome areas with the result they can be surgically corrected. Obviously, this is not an answer for all patients and some areas are not severe enough to warrant this. However, use of the sites is still subject to marked changes in insulin absorption from the injection site.

Posted to Other and Complications