From Dallas, Georgia, USA:

My twin sister and I both have had type 1 diabetes since we were eight. We are both 20 now and have had huge success with insulin injections. She takes Humalog and Lantus, a total of four shots a day. I take Humulin 70/30 mix. We both feel like we are in control. My last A1c was 6.2 and hers was 6.5.

Our endocrinologist recently stated he wants both of us to go on pump therapy with Humalog, but, I feel as the old saying comes in to play " if it isn't broke don't fix it." I think that, for myself anyway, I am comfortable with taking the shots and controlling it this way. What would be the perks or incentives to me to change from one to the other? My sister, on the other hand, would like to change just to be up to date with the latest technology in the field of diabetes.

This is a great question. I'm not one to do things because I can either, but the urge to be up to date is also understandable.

Might you be able to do a few things better with the pump? Maybe. Certainly, the timing of food/insulin should be better. Likewise, I know there are times when you need to change the basal insulin for a while, but really have a hard time with either NPH or Lantus. Nevertheless, an A1c in the 6s is success in diabetes management. Congratulations for your hard work.

Maybe you could consider a trial first. Maybe even someone you know or your endocrinologist or the diabetes center near you has a loaner just to try.

What a great story for both of you...keep it up!

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Insulin Pumps