From Tampa, Florida, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost two years ago. We have been very successful with treating him. He is now on the pump and his levels are very good most of the time. My concern is my youngest daughter. At the time my son was diagnosed, we did a genetic study on both my other daughters. My oldest daughter came back negative. However, my youngest daughter came back high risk for developing diabetes. I have tested her every now and then. Lately, every morning she has tested at 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. One hour after meals, she has tested at 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L]. But, two hours after she was about 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L]. She ate a lollipop and an hour later, she had a reading of 202 mg/dl [11.2 mmol/L]. Is that normal for a non-diabetic? I have used the ketostix and she does not have sugar in her urine. Could this be the start of her developing diabetes? I know the normal values for a non-diabetic is 80 to 110 mg/dl [4.4 to 6.1 mmol/L], right? Should I be concerned or am I being to cautious?

Usual values for people that do not have diabetes ranges from 65 to 110. [3.6 to 6.1 mmol/L]. You can read more about blood sugar levels that are abnormal at Diagnosing Diabetes. I would review your concerns with your pediatrician who can direct any testing that may be necessary. Because of a strong family history of diabetes, your daughter is at risk for developing diabetes.

Posted to Other and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections