From Warwick, Rhode Island, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one month ago. For the past two weeks numbers have been good, 80 to 180 mg/dl [4.4 to 10.0 mmol/L]. He takes two units of NPH in the morning, half a unit of Humalog at dinner, and half a unit of NPH at bedtime. He is very active and plays outside a lot. I check him often and he is often low, 66 to 69 mg/dl [3.7 to 3.8 mmol/L]. Would he be okay without the dinner Humalog since he is often low following after dinner exercise? My son's doctor has said to skip the Humalog on baseball nights.

This is quite typical for early diabetes. The "honeymoon," as we have called it, is a period when he is making insulin. We do lower doses and sometimes can go for a while with some of the insulin skipped. Follow your doctors lead here. It seems reasonable to me.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Hypoglycemia