Question:

From Canada:

I have type 1 diabetes. Is it normal to regularly have glucose spilling over into my urine, as high as 2000 mg/dL, when my blood sugar indicates I'm in the normal range? I've checked when my blood sugar is anywhere between 80 to 150 mg/dl [4.4 to 8.3 mmol/L] and there is always a large volume of sugar in my urine. My A1c is only 6.5. Is my situation strange? Could it be that I don't drink enough water and the sugar that my kidneys remove from my blood is just somehow condensed?

Answer:

A hemoglobin A1c of 6.5% is not normal. You are probably having intermittent elevated blood sugars. Hence, the elevated glucose in the urine. This is most likely the case after meals.

Posted to Other and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c