Question:

From Miller Grove, Texas, USA:

I have diabetes. Therefore, I keep an open eye out for any symptoms of diabetes in my children. My four year old son's fingernail is covered with ridges and indentions. This has just become noticeable in the last couple of months and he has not had any trauma to any of his fingers. I once had heard this could be a sign of diabetes, but, when I do research online, there is nothing about it. Please help in any way you can. Hopefully, I am just an over concerned parent, if there is such a thing.

Answer:

Where only a single fingernail is affected, this is often due to a previous trauma to the nailbed, but it is of no consequence and is nothing to do with diabetes.