Question:

From Normal, Illinois, USA:

I am interested in helping to raise funds for diabetes research, but not research that entails the destruction of embryos. I agree, in other words, with everyone's ends but not everyone's means. Can you still help me?

I am a minister in Normal, Illinois. I recently told a parishioner with a diabetic child about the American Diabetes Association's endorsement of therapeutic cloning and encouraged her to a) try to change their mind and b) avoid assisting with fundraising efforts. But, I also promised to try to find places where funds raised could go to moral research and thereby help her child, provide hope, according to the dignity of the human person (as I see it).

Your help in pointing out organizations that can benefit from financial support, but with the stipulations mentioned, and any other comments you have would be helpful.

Answer:

The Children with Diabetes Foundation funds research to cure type 1 diabetes that specifically does not involve the use of embryonic stem cells or the destruction of embryos.

JSH

Posted to Research: Cure