Question:

From Canary Islands, Spain:

My 16 year old son has a test done in the hospital twice a year which involves injecting glucagon into his arm. The first time he felt quite sick, however, he felt better the last time. Can you please tell me firstly, why this is done and, secondly, is this an unusual test to do or perfectly correct? I have spoken to other mothers and some of them have no idea why this is done and have never heard of this. I just feel slightly worried. I plan to speak to our doctor when we see him again in July. My son's A1cs are done every three months. So far, his results are below 6.0. Does this mean he is still producing his own insulin?

Answer:

I also cannot think of a reason to inject glucagon for any testing purposes in a child or adolescent with diabetes. We sometimes use glucagon to check for growth hormone levels in kids not growing very well. You should ask your physician why the test is being done and make sure that he or she explains it well enough to you.

[Editor's comment: For information on A1cs, see HbA1c Measurement. Results below 6.0 indicate your son is probably in good control and does not have many high blood sugars. BH]

Posted to Other and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c