Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

Can a child who was diagnosed at 18 months of age still be in honeymoon after almost three years? My son, who weighs only 33 pounds, is still only taking 0.5 units of Humalog per 15g carbohydrates. It has never gone up or gone down. Also, no matter what I do, his dinner time blood glucose is always high, 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] or well above. This has also been like this since diagnosis.

Answer:

The honeymoon period is very different in each person. Usually, it last some months until one year or so. In literature, there has been described a long honeymoon period in a teen who exercised a lot during the week. I don't know if your child could still have his honeymoon period or if his diabetes is not an autoimmune one (type 1 diabetes) but a genetic form that could start early in life as happened in his case. Did the doctor check autoantibodies at onset? I think you should discuss this with your diabetes team.

AS

Posted to Honeymoon