Question:

From Redding, California, USA:

How do I know how much insulin to give my daughter? She is still in her honeymoon, but requires NovoLog sometimes. The way the doctors have explained it to me does not make any sense! She weighs 39 pounds. Do I give her units based on what her blood sugar is before meals? Right now, I just guess and hope for the best.

Answer:

Most of the time, NovoLog insulin dosing is based on the amount of carbohydrates that your daughter eats. The dose should also be corrected if her blood sugar is too high or too low. Your diabetes team should be able to give you very specific guidelines on how to dose her insulin and you should carefully follow their advice. If you are confused about her dosing, please give them a call. Spending some quality time with a diabetes educator may be very beneficial for you, too. Your diabetes team will be able to direct you to an appropriate resource for that education.

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care