Question:

From Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA:

I am a 17 year old girl. I weigh 105 pounds. For the past few years, my mouth has been very dry and I've had dry, itchy skin. I get sick very easily, especially pneumonia and sinus infections. Before I eat, I get very shaky, dizzy, and anxious. My doctor has thought that I have hypoglycemia.

Also, I have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, if that's important. About two years ago, I was on prednisone when I had trouble breathing with pneumonia. I've heard that steroids may cause diabetes. Recently, I have lost about five pounds for no reason. Within the past few months, I've been urinating a lot and, after I eat big meals or candy, I get really lightheaded, sluggish, and hot. Do you think I have hypoglycemia, diabetes, or something else?

Answer:

There are a variety of possibilities, some serious and many not-so serious. Your history of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis may be pertinent.

You should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for a complete examination to relay your concerns.