Question:

From St. Lucie, West Indies:

My son is 16 and was diagnosed at age eight. For about a year now, he has given up all form of exercise (he used to play tennis regularly) and he has no diet plan, as such. He has put on a lot of weight and I would like advice as to where to go to find a suitable diet for him. We do not have any dietitians here who specialize in advising type 1 diabetics on how to lose weight.

I take my son to a specialist in Barbados, but she is strictly concerned with dealing with the medical aspect of the illness. Perhaps you could advice me of a suitable site on the Internet where I could find a diet plan for my son?

Answer:

Internet sites that I recommend do not include specific meal plans for individuals with diabetes, but they have information about healthy choices for meals and snacks. A couple of sites I would recommend are: the Nutrition page on the Children with Diabetes web site and The U.S. Department of Agriculture web site that is very helpful introducing the public to the "new" food guide pyramid. Continue to encourage your son to strive for regular physical activity and to work in healthy foods.

JMS