Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

I received a phone call today from the HLA Bone Marrow Registry and was told that I am a possible match to donate bone marrow. I am 27 years old, diagnosed with type 1 about one year ago. I am currently taking nine units of Lantus as well as NovoLog (insulin to carbohydrate ratio of 15 to 0.5). I am not completely insulin dependant yet. I was excited to hear that I can help someone by donating bone marrow, but disappointed after I was told that I would not be able to donate because I need to take insulin. Is it true that donating bone marrow would put a type 1 diabetic at risk? For what? Has this been looked into?

Answer:

I do not believe it is because the diabetes injures the donated cells. I believe that medical facilities are conservative. They do not want to expose patients with type 1 diabetes to increased risk of complications, including infection, poor healing, or poor metabolic control.