Question:

From Windsor, Massachusetts, USA:

My eight year old son was diagnosed with type 1 when he was five years old and my mother has had type 1 for 50 years. Recently, my three year old son started urinating a lot and drinking a lot so our endocrinologist had us test his blood sugars four times per day for a while. His fasting blood sugars have been within normal range on some days, while on other days, they have been in the 120s to 160s mg/dl [6.7 to 8.9 mmol/L]. His blood sugars one to two hours after meals have been as high as 208 mg/dl [11.6 mmol/L], but he will have days where his blood sugars are normal, too. Still, on most days they seem to be just above normal, especially his fasting blood sugars. He was originally diagnosed with diabetes based on his blood sugars, but he tested negative for antibodies, so, I am confused. Is it normal to have blood sugars above 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] for fasting and above 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] during the day? He has not been sick at all.

Answer:

From what you write, your son's clinical picture reminds me a type of type 2 diabetes of the young called MODY. I think you might want to ask for a further evaluation from a pediatric endocrinologist with experience in this form of monogenic diabetes.