From Shoreline, Washington, USA:

What causes hyperglycemic seizures?

My daughter was diagnosed with right lateral mesial sclerosis condition and I feel it may have a factor in causing hyperglycemic seizures. She has had these mystery seizures for less than a year and then they stopped. Has anyone in the medical community ever heard of this happening to a child? She's had the full work up and I can't get any answers.

I get accused of MSBP (Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy), but the child's condition worsened instead of improved when away from me. My daughter had multiloculated cystic lesions which necessitated surgery and a pelvic cavity full of pus, plus an appendectomy of perfectly healthy appendix. Could this explain the high blood sugars that hospital could not control?

Usually hypoglycemia, not hyperglycemia, can cause seizures. In theory, there would have to be enormously elevated blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia) to be associated with seizures. Without a much more detailed review of her medical record, it would be impossible to speculate. If she has a separate neurologic problem which causes seizures, just after such seizures the stress response could include high sugars transiently.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other