Question:

From South Africa:

My child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just after his 18 month injections. I would like to know if any other children have had the same thing happen. And, how many children this age have diabetes?

Answer:

Excellent studies, the last one published just the past year, do not show any association or causative link with immunizations of any kind and type 1 diabetes although there is much speculation about this in the literature the past 20 years. So, while there may be a time link with your child it is probably just coincidental.

[Editor's comment: As far as I am aware, there are no statistics available on the number of toddlers with diabetes. See Prevalence of Diagnosed Diabetes Among People Under 20 Years of Age, United States, 2002. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other