From South Africa:

My child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just after his 18 month injections. I would like to know if any other children have had the same thing happen. And, how many children this age have diabetes?

Excellent studies, the last one published just the past year, do not show any association or causative link with immunizations of any kind and type 1 diabetes although there is much speculation about this in the literature the past 20 years. So, while there may be a time link with your child it is probably just coincidental.

[Editor's comment: As far as I am aware, there are no statistics available on the number of toddlers with diabetes. See Prevalence of Diagnosed Diabetes Among People Under 20 Years of Age, United States, 2002. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other