From Canberra, Australia:

I have to have injections but I am dead scared! What can I do?

It is normal to be afraid of insulin injections. Many people are. However, it's important to know that insulin needles are extremely short and thin, and they go just underneath your skin. Most injections that people get, like immunizations, are long and thick needles that go through your skin and into your muscle. So, insulin injections are nothing like the typical injections most people remember.

It may be helpful to talk about your worries to your diabetes team. There are a number of ways to hide the needle so that you do not see it going in. That may be helpful to you.

Also, your diabetes team can teach you strategies to use to help you relax during the injection time, as the more you're relaxed, the less discomfort you will feel. It may also help to talk about what kinds of things make you afraid of the injections. For example, some people think the needle will break inside of them, but that does not happen. So, talking with your team about your worries will help them help you!

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Other