Question:

From Waterloo, Ontario, Canada:

I have had type 1 diabetes since February 1990. I have only used pen technology since 1991. I solely used NPH and Toronto until two days ago. My endocrinologist switched the Toronto to NovoRapid. Currently, I am trying to conceive a child. My first child died as a result of Group B Strep in my 34th week of pregnancy. I also have Hypothyroidism. Is there a problem using NovoRapid before and during pregnancy? Will it cause birth defects?

Answer:

NovoRapid (NovoLog in the United States) is used commonly in pregnancy and appears to be safe. Thus, I would agree with the changes made by your endocrinologist.

[Editor's comment: "Toronto" insulin is another name for Regular insulin. JSH]

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Pregnancy