Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

I am concerned about a two-year-old boy in daycare, who wets extremely with an overflowing diaper, and whose blood sugar ranges from 77 up to over 450. He gets very cranky when it is high. I am not even sure if he is on insulin, but I would think so. The facility uses test strips and calls the parent when his blood sugar is high to pick him up.

Could this high blood sugar and fluctuations cause some organ failure or other problems?

Answer:

Your best option would be to discuss your concerns with the child's parents. If you are taking care of the child during the day, you need as much information as possible to help treat high and low blood sugars. The parent's should be able to tell you about the care of their son if he is in your care for part of the day.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA