Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

My 10-year-old daughter recently went to the doctor for her annual well-check. Today, the office called me and asked me to bring her back in for some fasting bloodwork because her cholesterol was 230. They then asked me if there was a history of diabetes in her family. There is, but I do not understand the connection. Why did they ask me about diabetes based upon a high cholesterol reading?

Answer:

We pay close attention to people with diabetes who have high cholesterol levels. High cholesterol levels in folks with diabetes place them at high risk for heart disease as adults.