From Allen Park, Michigan, USA:

My sister went to the doctor for a urine test. They said her blood sugar was high. She then went to the Emergency Room where it was 265 mg/dl [14.7 mmol/L]. She has not been eating healthy foods. She has been drinking pop and eating fast food. Could this produce the high blood sugar? Is it higher or lower after you eat? Also, the doctor said she was probably diabetic. It has come down since, to 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L], but we are unsure if her eating habit for the last month or so has triggered this. Could it be a false alarm?

It sounds like your sister most likely has diabetes. She needs to have a fasting blood test (no food or drink for at least eight hours) with a result of 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] or higher on two separate days to confirm the diagnosis. I suggest she see a registered dietician and/or certified diabetes educator to help her make healthful food choices as soon as possible.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hyperglycemia and DKA