Question:

From Northants, United Kingdom:

I have type 2, controlled with metformin twice daily and NovoMix insulin. My query regards an anomalous series of readings I get. I usually get a normal result, under 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl] before I leave for work at 5:15 in the morning. If I retest prior to breakfast, at work, around 7 a.m., my reading is usually higher, sometimes at 9.5 mmol/L [171 mg/dl]. I usually have a small drink of tea or water in between, which should not cause such a change. Why do you think this may be happening?

Answer:

If you are taking your commercially mixed insulin at supper, you may be seeing the effect of time on the decrease in the long-acting insulin. In other words, the long-acting insulin in the mix is not holding you past 6:00 a.m. One choice is to get away from the mix and give rapid-acting insulin at supper and long-acting insulin at bedtime.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2