From Northants, United Kingdom:

I have type 2, controlled with metformin twice daily and NovoMix insulin. My query regards an anomalous series of readings I get. I usually get a normal result, under 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl] before I leave for work at 5:15 in the morning. If I retest prior to breakfast, at work, around 7 a.m., my reading is usually higher, sometimes at 9.5 mmol/L [171 mg/dl]. I usually have a small drink of tea or water in between, which should not cause such a change. Why do you think this may be happening?

If you are taking your commercially mixed insulin at supper, you may be seeing the effect of time on the decrease in the long-acting insulin. In other words, the long-acting insulin in the mix is not holding you past 6:00 a.m. One choice is to get away from the mix and give rapid-acting insulin at supper and long-acting insulin at bedtime.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2