From Hutchinson, Kansas, USA:

My husband is diabetic and he was just recently diagnosed with dumping syndrome. I have done some research on this and have found that, most often, this syndrome follows a surgical procedure. He has had no such surgical procedures. Has diabetes caused this dumping syndrome? Does this syndrome make it harder to control his blood sugars?

Dumping syndrome occurs when the material in the gut develops a high concentration of solute that draws fluid with it. This can be acquired as a result of surgery on the gut or as a motility abnormality secondary to diabetic neuropathy. When the gut does not move and food collects, it draws water with it and there can be explosive diarrhea following meals. The syndrome can make his blood sugars harder to control, especially if there is an associated motility abnormality with the gut. The usual relationship between glucose levels and time after meal may not be maintained and this plays havoc with the administration of insulin. Adjustments may be needed to help direct the insulin's effect to the peak rise in glucose after the meal.

Posted to Complications and Other Illnesses