From Elkins, West Virginia, USA:

My five year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes since August 2004 had some blood tests that I don't understand. Can you help me?

• A1c test 6.9
  • thyroid 2.04
  • lipids 148
  • triglycerides 33
  • HDL 69
  • LDL 72
  • chem. 92
  • Anti-gliadin 52 (celiac sprue, which I was told was normal)

Do you see any concerns here? Should I have any additional testing done? I was told everything looked okay, but her endocrinologist has not seen her report and I somewhat feel more concerned with just hearing the results from our family doctor's nurse. My daughter's next appointment with the endocrinologist is not until September. Any comments would be helpful.

At this point I would wait on the appointment. Things do seem okay as far as I can tell from the information you sent. Obviously, laboratory data are interpreted in the context of the person, not just on paper. I think it safe to wait.