From Troy, New York, USA:

My son has type 1 diabetes. I'd like to know if I should restrict his carbohydrates or not. Should he have fewer carbohydrates than his sisters just because he has diabetes? Should he have a large amount of pasta if he wants and eat as much as he wants, to fill up? How concerned should I be if he doesn't have any vegetables with that plate of pasta? Should I make sure he has a plate of vegetables and a salad several times a week?

You ask some very good questions. It is important to not restrict your growing son's intake, but, rather, find a balance between insulin and carbohydrate intake to meet his caloric requirements for growth and to obtain optimal blood sugar control. For everyone, not just people with diabetes, the Food Guide Pyramid is a good guide to gauge one's needs from each of the food groups. I would recommend that you talk with your son's diabetes team and/or dietitian. They can assist you with amounts and types of foods to find this balance.