From California, USA:

I am a diabetic, diagnosed at age 26 as a prednisone induced diabetic. I had my daughter after this diagnosis. As such, I have had her blood tested once a year, just in case. She recently took a non-fasting blood test and her results showed a glucose level of 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] and an A1c of 5.3. Her mean plasma glucose was 111 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L]. We are now seeing a new pediatrician and he said there was no cause to worry. Since I know the borderline A1c is 6.0, she seems awfully close at age 10 and the high glucose of 111 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] concerns me, but not the pediatrician. Should I be concerned and seek further investigation into this?

These are normal results. You didn't say why you were on prednisone, but steroids will cause diabetes in many people and I know of no relation between this and any family history.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c