From Salisbury, North Carolina, USA:

My son was born with low blood sugar. They had to give him sugar water for about five days to bring him back up. Did this cause his diabetes or did the fact that I took 1/2 tablet of propranolol, 10 mg, for arrhythmia cause it? Also, I read about complications. Do I need to worry about complications, with him being only six years old and newly diagnosed or, is that for later in years?

Your son's early problems and your medication had nothing to do with his diabetes.

You can read all about diabetes complications on this web site. While you certainly should not worry at the moment, it is nonetheless important to manage your son's diabetes as well as possible and to meet the targets that your team sets as this minimizes the risk of later problems which are strongly related to long-term blood glucose control.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Complications