Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

Today, my three year old daughter was diagnosed with an elevated blood sugar. For about a week, she has had potty accidents numerous times a day just a little at a time, just enough to make her underwear wet. I'm very concerned about these accidents because when she first started potty training a year ago, she never had accidents. Now, she has them day and night.

Earlier today, we went to a birthday party and she went to the bathroom three times during the 90 minute party and, on the way home, had an accident. Of course, she had eaten candy and birthday cake. I took her to the Emergency Room and they did tests. They said she didn't have a urinary tract infection, but she was dehydrated and had a slightly elevated blood sugar. Should I be worried or do you think the blood sugar is from the birthday party?

Answer:

I would review your concerns with your pediatrician who can direct any further testing that may be necessary. I would suggest that she be closely monitored over the next few months to ensure that she doesn't have diabetes.