Question:

From Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA:

My son is six years old and he has had hypoglycemic episodes quite frequently. We do perform blood sugar checks at home and the readings have been high and low. He has been admitted to the hospital twice due to vomiting and dehydration. Each time, his blood sugar has been below 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L]. The last time he was in the hospital he tested positive for ketones and reducing substances. He will be seeing a pediatric endocrinologist next month. I was wondering if this is a sign of diabetes? It does run in both sides of the family. If you have any information or comments please let me know.

Answer:

Frequently, we don't have enough information to really help. We cannot diagnose easily here. I am pleased you are seeing a consultant. I would advise keeping the appointment and getting first hand information.

Diabetes is really pretty easy to diagnose in a six year old, so, if it isn't really over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] with symptoms, then I doubt he has diabetes. But again, check with your local expert...keep the appointment.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hyperglycemia and DKA