Question:

From Laurel, Maryland, USA:

Can a person with type 1 diabetes take amino acids to aid in weight loss? I researched amino acids and it said certain ones promote weight loss.

Answer:

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. You eat these when you eat meat, beans, nuts, and a variety of foods that make up good nutrition. When you supplement your diet with liquid protein diets, some of these have been shown to cause dangerous side effects and should be used only with the consent of a physician. Taken in lesser amounts, they still can significantly add to the burden of protein that your kidney has to process. Since increased protein in the kidney can advance diabetes-related kidney disease, I am not sure that this is the best direction for you to take. Please see your physician with the above information before starting the supplement.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Other