From Pennington, New Jersey, USA:

I've been diabetic for 32 years and, for years, have had A1c levels of 6.2 or less. I have mild kidney disease, with a creatinine level of 1.6. My creatinine has been stable at 1.6 for the past six years. My doctor told me this is unusual, that once creatinine reaches a certain level, it usually increases slowly but steadily. Can you tell me whether there is a chance I may stay at this "borderline" creatinine level? Have you heard of this happening before? Or, will my kidney disease eventually get worse, even if I continue to keep in good control?

The natural history of chronic renal disease from diabetes is such that it progresses once creatinine levels rise. However, if you are on an ACE inhibitor, which you probably should be, these medications are known to slow the progression of diabetes-related kidney disease. That is a good thing. Good blood pressure control, good blood sugars, good cholesterol, and a healthy lifestyle are important for the maintenance of good health.