From Maplewood, Missouri, usa:

My nine year old son has been using an insulin pump for approximately five years and his diabetes team is suggesting that we begin considering a new pump for him. The pump he is currently using is working fine at this time.

I am looking for a comparison of the frequency of problems with the different pumps on the market to find which brand, overall, has had the fewest problems requiring it to be returned to the manufacturer. I have a friend who also uses an insulin pump and she has had to return her new pump several times over the past year. She has now heard similar stories about the pump she has and would have considered a different brand if she had been able to find this information out prior to purchasing her pump. The pump my son is using has never had to be repaired, but that manufacturer is not at the present time selling pumps in the U.S. Any information you can give in finding out this type of information would be appreciated.

You can search Food and Drug Adminstration Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience Database for reports of adverse events associated with insulin pumps. A quick search run on June 17, 2005 found 203 reports for "insulin pump" in the years 2004 and 2005. Some of these reports appear to relate to blood glucose meters, however.

You may also wish to sign up for our Parents Mailing List and ask other parents about their experiences.

Posted to Insulin Pumps