From Aurora, Illinois, USA:

Does type 1 diabetes cause cold intolerance? My six year old daughter with type 1 diabetes is on a swim team. The water in the outdoor pool has been very cold at her morning practices. She seems to get much colder than my eight year old and the other children on the team. I have let her sit out some mornings because she gets very cold and starts shivering. Last evening, at her swim meet, we had to keep a towel around her during the times she was out of the pool because she was shivering so bad. Could she be cold intolerant because of her diabetes? I talked to her coach this morning and he was very understanding and said it was okay to just watch the practices when she gets cold. I asked her if she still wants to participate on the swim team and she does. She has had type 1 since she was 15 months old and the exercise is good for her.

As far as I know or am aware from the literature, there is no reason why someone with good control of their type 1 diabetes would be more intolerant to cold. To double check anyway, you may want to check her also for thyroid function trough TSH and thyroid antibodies.