Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from July 2005

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. What can you tell me about a phenomenon called "Double Diabetes" where the patient has type 1 diabetes and then develops symptoms of type 2 diabetes? (30 Jul 2005)

2. I have had type 1 for over 15 years. For about 10 years, I had poor control so I now have poor kidney function. Is it too soon to be thinking about dialysis? My nephrologist has recommended this. (30 Jul 2005)

3. My son is currently using NPH with NovoLog. His doctor says that some patients have better success with Lantus. Since I don't want to give him numerous shots she said it was possible to mix Lantus and NovoLog in the PM. I believe this is a new practice and was wondering if other doctors are experimenting with it. (30 Jul 2005)

4. I take pills for type 2. Although my blood sugar is normal around 3 a.m., it is higher when I get up. What can I do to maintain normal blood sugar? (29 Jul 2005)

5. Our 10 month old just started using Lantus and NovoLog. Dosing is difficult since one unit of NovoLog causes a big drop in her blood sugar. Do you have any suggestions? Should we try to give her less than one unit of Lantus? Would diluted NovoLog be useful? (29 Jul 2005)

6. My daughter takes NovoLog and Lantus. If her blood sugar is in range at bedtime, does she need a snack? Does the heat your body feels from outside or heat from the shower effect the way the insulin is absorbed in the body? How do you know when the honeymoon is ending? (28 Jul 2005)

7. At a urine drug screening, I tested positive for alcohol, but I do not drink. I had taken no insulin for three days before the test. Can you help me figure this out? (27 Jul 2005)

8. Do most people with long term type 1 diabetes eventually develop hypoglycemia unawareness? Are lows harder to detect when one has good control? (27 Jul 2005)

9. Does heating or baking alter the carbohydrate count of foods? Is there any software to calculate the carbohydrate count? (27 Jul 2005)

10. To help my father control his diabetes through diet, I want to prepare more cakes with nuts. What is the glycemic value for various nuts? (27 Jul 2005)

11. My boyfriend occasionally has cramps, bloating, gas and diarrhea for hours and all night. Could this be Irritable Bowel Syndrome or something else? (26 Jul 2005)

12. My husband, who has had type 1 for 22 years, was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year ago. At the same time, he started to eat healthier and lost weight. Is it possible that hypothyroidism can lead to weight loss instead of weight gain in someone with type 1? (26 Jul 2005)

13. Due to several symptoms, my daughter was told she may have reactive hypoglycemia. Eating small meals and snacks, she still has the same symptoms. What could be going on? (26 Jul 2005)

14. I take Glucovance and Actos for my diabetes and have an A1c of 7.6. Because I have no complications and am 73, my doctor does not recommend insulin. Is he correct? (24 Jul 2005)

15. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am looking for statistics on the likelihood that I will get diabetes. Do you know this information? (23 Jul 2005)

16. Why is my daughter-in-law doing well with poor food choices while I am not? She has lost weight, while I have not. (23 Jul 2005)

17. When do I need to toughen up and get my nine year old to work at reducing his A1c? His most recent one was 10.8. What do I do about him sneaking food? (23 Jul 2005)

18. My son recently had some tests run because of thirst and sweet smelling breath. Some parts of the tests were negative. Does this mean diabetes, even if the other tests are clear? (23 Jul 2005)

19. I am in the U.K. and trying to get a pump. Is there any way to speed up the way the Primary Care Trust handles requests? (23 Jul 2005)

20. I was diagnosed with PCOS six months ago. Since then, I have dieted, taken supplements, and lost weight. Why is my blood sugar now slightly higher? (22 Jul 2005)

21. I take Lantus at night, but have to be 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] to avoid nighttime lows. I wake up in range. How can I avoid the nighttime lows? Should I consider a split dose of Lantus? (22 Jul 2005)

22. Sometimes, when I eat too much sugar, my blood pressure goes up. What can I do to lower it? Can lime water or coconut water help? (22 Jul 2005)

23. We are considering switching to a needle-less injection system for our young daughter. Do they work well? Are they safe for children? (22 Jul 2005)

24. I give my self six insulin injections per day. As I am a competitive bike rider, might I develop muscles into which I cannot inject? (21 Jul 2005)

25. When comparing my daughter's blood sugar readings from a new meter with the old, I sometimes see a big discrepancy. Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? (21 Jul 2005)

26. How long can someone live without insulin? (20 Jul 2005)

27. I took a combination of Xenical, acarbose and metformin once after I had not eaten a healthy meal. Why is this not acceptble to do this occasionally? I am looking for a way to control my blood sugar and not gain weight. (20 Jul 2005)

28. Could you give me some advice about what I should eat or drink to help my sugar come down? Can I change the insulin to tablets or medication? (20 Jul 2005)

29. I have relatively good control of my diabetes, but am urinating small amount of pale urine. What could be causing this? (19 Jul 2005)

30. I have a low sex drive and loose erections. Is this related to my diabetes or mental stress? Will I be impotent the rest of my life? (19 Jul 2005)

31. Although I did not have ketones, I was diagnosed with type 1 three years ago. Now, the doctor suspects I have type 2. Oral medications previously did not work. Which type might I have? (18 Jul 2005)

32. We are moving to Winnipeg, Canada later this year and need to find someone to change our daughter's insulin to a type available there. Where can we find a diabetes team? (18 Jul 2005)

33. After 10 years, my daughter's A1c has gone up to 7.2. My ex-husband suspects she is overeating and "cheating." What is the average A1c for a teen with type 1? (18 Jul 2005)

34. Is there a correlation between high blood sugars and the viscosity of blood? My husband says our son's blood drips faster when he's high. (18 Jul 2005)

35. How common is it that a type 1 diabetic child comes down with autoimmune von Willebrand's disease? Are we likely to see more autoimmune problems in our son? (18 Jul 2005)

36. Born with nesidioblastosis, my friend had her pancreas removed at the age of three weeks. She has had recurrent stomach pain and the inability to consume fluids. What do you know about this type of problem? (18 Jul 2005)

37. I suspect my seven year old has ketotic hypoglycemia and am concerned as I have read it has some link to diabetes. Should she have a GTT, even if all it does is confirm my suspicions? (17 Jul 2005)

38. I take 260 units of 70/30, which I think this a lot of insulin. Is there another treatment I should try? (17 Jul 2005)

39. My friend, age 51, diagnosed with type 1 at age 16 is having morning lows since starting menopause. Why is this? What should she do? (17 Jul 2005)

40. Are there clinical trial options geared toward prolonging the onset of type 1 in a child who has an elevated GADA? (17 Jul 2005)

41. Where can I find health insurance for my college daughter who has type 2? She is coming off the Texas CHIP program in three months. (17 Jul 2005)

42. My three year old has had diabetes for about a year and continues to have problems potty training. Is this because of her diabetes? (16 Jul 2005)

43. My son's endocrinologist does not recommend insulin for my son, whose blood sugars often go up to 450 mg/dl [25 mmol/L]. How can we stablize his blood sugars? Should I find another endocrinologist? (16 Jul 2005)

44. While having my son checked because of frequent urination, his blood sugar was 113 mg/dl [6.3 mmol/L]. Should I push for testing for diabetes? (16 Jul 2005)

45. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 on February 1, 2005. She takes 10 units of insulin a day. Due to occasional lows, I sometimes stop giving her insulin. Is she really diabetic? (16 Jul 2005)

46. Since I have type 1, I often check my brother 's blood sugar. He has had some elevated readings, but his doctor said not to worry. Does he need an A1c? (16 Jul 2005)

47. Have they tried to do pancreatic transplants in children yet? If so, where do I need to go to look for information on this subject? (16 Jul 2005)

48. For a couple where both the man and woman have type 1, what are the chances their offspring would have type 1? Is it possible to employ "genetic engineering" to "remove" the afflicted genetic materials? (16 Jul 2005)

49. Although my daughter's celiac test was negative, she was found to have Immunoglobulin A Deficiency. Is this common in children with diabetes? How is it treated? (16 Jul 2005)

50. My niece was diagnosed with type 1 two months after being on a steroid treatment. Is there any research on this? What tests can she have to confirm her diagnosis? (16 Jul 2005)

51. Born with nesidioblastosis, I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 17. Are my weight gain, acne, mood swings, and irregular menstrual cycles related to the removal of my pancreas? (16 Jul 2005)

52. Can you explain why I have trouble lowering my blood sugar when it's over 15.0 mmol/L [270 mg/dl]? I give an extra injection, but it doesn't help. (16 Jul 2005)

53. I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance. Is this the same as diabetes? Should I get a second opinion or see a naturopathic doctor? (16 Jul 2005)

54. Since his diagnosis a week ago, my son's insulin needs have decreased, almost to none required. Could he have been misdiagnosed? (15 Jul 2005)

55. There are days when I drink and eat a lot, but I have no other symptoms of diabetes. I do have relatives with type 2. Could I have diabetes? (15 Jul 2005)

56. Since switching to Lantus and NovoLog, my son's awareness of lows has changed. He doesn't feel low until he's 45 mg/dl [2.5 mmol/L]. Is this related to the type of insulin he is taking? (13 Jul 2005)

57. My daughter has had type 1 for over a year. I suspect she has ADHD. Would medications for this affect her glucose control? (13 Jul 2005)

58. I started a Cozmo pump recently. My infusion sites have been bleeding/leaking insulin after about 24 hours. Is this common? Should I try different sets or sites? (13 Jul 2005)

59. Do you have any positive feedback on the non-prescription drugs Diabeticine or Geobetic? (13 Jul 2005)

60. My young son is always drinking, about a gallon of fluid a day. He has no other symptoms. Should I be concerned about diabetes or water intoxication? (13 Jul 2005)

61. Although my husband has had good control of his diabetes for ten years, he has had two seizures in the last eight months. Are they affecting our ability to conceive? (13 Jul 2005)

62. Are my daughter's blood sugars high because she is in puberty? Why hasn't the doctor increased her insulin? (12 Jul 2005)

63. My teen daughter's blood sugars, A1c and weight have all gone up in the last year. Will her weight and blood sugars decrease when she starts menstruating? (12 Jul 2005)

64. My nephew has had trace to moderate ketones, slightly elevated blood sugars, but no symptoms of diabetes. Should we keep checking his blood sugars? Should he have other tests done? (12 Jul 2005)

65. At a recent check for chest pain, my son's blood sugar was slightly elevated. What is a normal blood sugar for him? Should he have a GTT? He is a bit overweight. (12 Jul 2005)

66. I just noticed that my daughter's feet are peeling on the bottom. She has type 1 diabetes. Should I be concerned? (12 Jul 2005)

67. Although my niece has been running high with ketones and a "slight" infection, the doctor is not giving her antibiotics. Why is this? (12 Jul 2005)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts