Question:

From Fort Chipewyan,Alberta,Canada:

My niece has been having very high blood sugars, 17 to 27 mmol/L [308 to 489 mg/dl] for about two weeks now with ketones showing quite often. It was discovered that she had a "slight "urinary tract infection. The doctor said he would just let it run it's course and not treat with antibiotics. I was thinking that the infection was perhaps causing the blood sugars to be so high and that treating with antibiotics would have been a good idea. Could you explain what he was thinking?

Answer:

Any infection can cause higher blood sugars in a child with diabetes. Often, it is important to even take additional insulin during times of illness to help compensate for the higher blood sugars.

Usually, with urinary tract infections in children, a simple course of antibiotics will help to clear up the infection. Occasionally, some follow-up urine testing, ultrasound testing of the kidneys, and testing for a condition called vesicoureteral reflux is necessary after a urinary tract infection in children.I would suggest reviewing your concerns with the pediatrician.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other Illnesses