Question:

From Fargo, North Dakota, USA:

My husband has had diabetes for about ten years. He was always been successful in controlling it with insulin injections. He has had two seizure in the last eight months. We are currently getting tests done to discover the cause of these. My question is about the effect of seizures on fertility in men. Does it effect sperm count or motility? Could these seizures be why we cannot get pregnant?

Answer:

Isolated seizures, per se, are not enough to cause infertility in men. However, your husband's status needs to be evaluated more completely. This would include a semen analysis. If this is inadequate, more testing of his endocrine system needs to be done. The seizures, if they are the result of lows, need to be addressed aggressively with his physician caring for his diabetes. It may be he has lost his ability to sense low sugars. This might be reversed to some degree with avoidance of the very low sugars.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other