From Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA:

My three year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost a year ago. My husband and I had started potty training her just prior to the diagnosis. To this day, we are having a difficult time getting her to use the potty when she needs to urinate, but not when she has bowel movements. She is still having a lot of accidents, anywhere from three to six a day. She has a lot of accidents at school also. Could this be due to the diabetes?

Her blood sugar levels are monitored at least four times a day and her numbers, in most cases, are within her target range as determined by her endocrinologist, between 100 and 200 mg/dl [5.6 and 11.1 mmol/L]. Have other parents of children with type 1 had a difficult time with potty training? I have searched through this and other web sites for discussions on this topic, but have been unsuccessful.

Diabetes can contribute to difficulty in potty training occasionally when it is not adequately controlled resulting in frequent very high blood sugars. However, it is normal for a three year old girl to not necessarily be potty trained. I would continue to work with positive reinforcement and no negative reinforcement strategies for potty training. Your pediatrician will be your best resource in developing a strategy that works for potty training.