Question:

From George West, Texas, USA:

My daughter is coming off of the CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) insurance program in three months and I'm having trouble finding someone to insure her because of the type 2 diabetes that she has. Are there any programs available in Texas that I could contact about getting insurance? She is about to begin her second year of college.

Answer:

It is wonderful that your daughter has been able to benefit through the Texas CHIP. However, there are few affordable health insurance coverage options available. According to A Consumer's Guide to Getting and Keeping Health Insurance in Texas, published by the Georgetown University School of Health Policy, a person with chronic health conditions would do best by seeking coverage through an HMO that offers service in the county in which they live, work or go to school. Unlike health insurance companies, a Texas HMO is not allowed to impose an exclusion of coverage for preexisting conditions. If HMO coverage is not an option, your daughter is likely to be HIPAA eligible and might then qualify to purchase coverage through the Texas Health Risk Pool. Another option might be to seek a part-time job that offers health insurance coverage. Sorry the options are limited.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs