Question:

From England:

My son's school asked me to get him checked for diabetes because of he was drinking lots and had a sweet smelling breath. We tested him with a blood glucose system and have had some reading from 4.9 to 17.5 mmol/L [88 to 315 mg/dl], so the doctor sent him for a blood test. Some parts have come back negative and we are still waiting for some to come back. Does it still mean he has diabetes if the other tests come back clear?

Answer:

It sounds as if your son needs to have a formal Glucose Tolerance Test, which is not often required in children. It may be that he has very early diabetes and that's why his results are variable. If he becomes unwell at all, then you should go straight to the local A&E (Emergency Room).