From Oregon, USA:

At what point do you just get hard knuckled about the A1c? My nine year old son was just in critical care and his level came out at 10.8. He sneaks food. What should I do?

You are in a tough position. There are many strategies for dealing with high hemoglobin A1cs, especially when there are poor choices and behaviors that are contributing to poor control. The strategy for dealing with your son should be decided by consultation with your diabetes team, including an understanding diabetes educator, a knowledgeable physician and your family. Some folks would suggest getting tough and others may suggest doing your best to be understanding and flexible. I would suggest that you consult with your diabetes team prior to making any firm decisions.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c