From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

My 36 year old husband has had type 1 diabetes since he was 14. Since college, my husband has stayed the same weight, 200 pounds. About a year ago, he started eating healthier and lost 20 pounds. At the same time, he was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Is it possible that hypothyroidism can lead to weight loss instead of weight gain in someone with type 1? We have an ongoing disagreement because I don't think he has changed his diet that much and that it was too coincidental that he lost that much weight so fast at the same time he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

It is unlikely that hypothyroidism is the cause of weight loss. Most people with hypothyroidism talk about mild weight gain. Some may gain more and some none at all. Weight loss is not usually part of the picture. However, this question is easily answered as part of his usual medical follow-up for his thyroid condition. Blood tests are usually performed to make sure he is on the right dose of hormone replacement therapy.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Thyroid