Question:

From London, England:

My father currently controls his diabetes through diet and twice daily monitoring of his blood sugar levels. I am experimenting with cake recipes for him and would like to know the glycemic index for various nuts, specifically almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts and hazelnuts. Is there any difference if I grind them?

Answer:

Nuts do not have a glycemic index due to the fact they contain fats and protein but no carbohydrates. Nuts that are more beneficial because of the increased monounsaturated fat content include almonds, cashews, peanuts, and pecans.

JMS