Question:

From Miami, Florida, USA:

I am waking up with high sugar levels. If I wake up in at 2 or 3 a.m., my sugar level is normal, but, no matter what I do, in the morning the level is between 150 and 184 mg/dl [8.3 and 10.2 mmol/L]. Even if I don't eat right away, my sugar keeps going up. What can I eat at night to maintain my sugar at a normal level? During the day, it seems fine. Currently, I am taking glipizide 100 mg (one tablet in the morning); Prandin 2 mg (one tablet, three times a day--before meals); Avandia (rosiglitazone maleate tablets) 8 mg (one a day--at dinner and one a day in the morning); Avalide (Ibesartan-hydrochlorothiazide) 300/12.5 mg (one a day--morning); hydrochlorothiazie (Microzide) 12.5 mg capsules (one a day--morning); and Lipitor 10 mg (one/half a day--morning).

Answer:

I highly recommend you see a diabetes specialist to review your treatment plan and make some recommendations. You definitely need your medications adjusted to reach the blood sugar goals that will help you feel better and decrease your risk of complications.

JS

Posted to Type 2 and Hyperglycemia and DKA