Question:

From California, USA:

My son is currently using NPH with NovoLog. His doctor says that some patients have better success with Lantus. Since I don't want to give him numerous shots she said it was possible to mix Lantus and NovoLog in the PM. I believe this is a new practice and was wondering if other doctors are experimenting with it.

Answer:

You are correct that some families give NovoLog and NPH together in the AM and NovoLog and Lantus prior to dinner. In our experience, 90 to 95% of families find no difficulty in mixing Lantus and NovoLog. Lantus is much better during the night as it does not have a peak and the chance for a severe night time low is greatly reduced. Draw the NovoLog in first and then the Lantus. If possible, always give in buttocks (to be certain going into fat). This will all be in the 11th edition of the Pink Panther Book.

HPC

Posted to Insulin Analogs